Monday, August 31, 2009

Vanderbilt Principles

My father, Vanderbilt Lake, taught me how to love myself, love my country, respect others, honor my family, and never submit to the expectations of others. He has been dead for 18 years, but I still can hear his warm tenor voice telling me to let the words of my foes roll away from me like water from a duck's back.He was the first person in my life to show how to endure the times when the world seemed determined to destroy me.

As a young man in his early 20's living in Georgia, my father witnessed the torture and lynching of several close family members. He then had to flea the state of Georgia for his life because the lynch mob wanted to kill everyone who was a Lake. My father went on to become a WWI and WWII veteran, loving husband, wonderful father, creative entrepreneur, and passionate patriot.

The Vanderbilt Principles (formally the 12 Principles for Living All the Way IN Life) are based on the clear and poignant wisdom that my father taught me. His life lessons still comfort me in difficult times and inform me when making important decisions.Sharing what I know through the Vanderbilt Principles is my way of honoring my father while helping all who follow these principles.

Are you in a cycle of destructive behavior?

Do you feel that you are stuck trying to fix the same problem in your life?

The Vanderbilt Principles teaches how to recognize self-defeating behavior and put distance between you and the harmful people in your life.